Harissa Roasted Carrots
This simple side of colorful roasted carrots gets big appeal from toasted spices and a hint of spicy harissa sauce. It’s delicious at room temperature, making it convenient for a holiday buffet or as a potluck dish. Serve with a dollop of tangy Greek yogurt to add a cooling creaminess and balance.
- 16 slender multicolor carrots, scrubbed and halved lengthwise, carrot tops reserved for garnish
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- ½ teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1½ teaspoons harissa paste, or to taste
- ¾ cup Greek yogurt
Preheat oven to 400°F. Place carrots on a lined baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and toss to coat. Roast until browned and tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
Meanwhile, place sesame seeds, coriander seeds and fennel seeds in a small dry skillet. Heat seeds over medium heat, shaking the pan occasionally, until fragrant, about 4 minutes. Transfer seeds to a spice grinder and pulse until just crushed, or place on a cutting board and crush with a rolling pin. Stir lemon juice and harissa together.
Transfer carrots to a platter, dolloped with yogurt, sprinkled with seed mixture and harissa mixture, and garnished with carrot top greens.