Blistered Green Beans With Shishitos and Maitake Mushrooms
New! Shop this recipe's ingredients and get them delivered with Prime on Amazon. Exclusively for Prime members in select ZIP codes.
This delicious take on classic green bean casserole stars big, unexpected flavors. Haricots verts get the royal treatment with meaty hen-of-the-woods mushrooms, shishitos, red chiles and a drizzle of miso dressing. Serve it as an alternative to green bean casserole at your holiday meal, or pair it with a simple main course. It’s delicious either warm or at room temperature.
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 shallots, peeled and very thinly sliced into rings
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white miso paste
- 12 ounces haricots verts (French green beans)
- ¾ teaspoon flaky sea salt, such as Maldon, divided
- 6 ounces shishito peppers
- 6 ounces maitake mushrooms, separated into bite-size pieces
- 1 red chile pepper, such as a fresno or jalapeño, very thinly sliced
Heat a large, heavy skillet over high heat. When very hot, add oil. Working in 2 batches, add shallot rings and cook until very crisp; remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Pour oil from the pan into a cup. Measure out 3 tablespoons and place in a small bowl; discard any remaining oil. Add lemon juice, miso and 1 tablespoon water, and whisk until smooth. Set aside.
Wipe out the skillet. Place over high heat. When very hot, add haricots verts and ¼ teaspoon of the salt. Let them cook undisturbed until browned and blistered, about 2 minutes. Stir and continue to cook until browned and blistered on all sides, about 3 to 4 minutes more. Transfer to a platter.
Return the skillet to high heat and repeat the cooking process first with shishito peppers, then with mushrooms, sprinkling each with ¼ teaspoon salt and transferring each to the platter in turn.
Place the skillet back over medium heat and add chile; cook 1 minute, then add to the platter.
When ready to serve, drizzle with miso dressing and top with crispy shallots.