Savory Sausage and Cheddar Breakfast Casserole
- 5 cups (1-inch) cubes sourdough or white bread
- 1/2 pound bulk breakfast sausage, cooked and drained (about 1 cup cooked)
- 1 cup spinach leaves
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups reduced-fat (2%) milk
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
Layer bread, sausage and spinach in an 8-inch baking dish. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, garlic, salt, pepper and sage then pour over contents in baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese, cover and chill for at least 2 hours, or preferably overnight.
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Uncover dish and bake until cooked through and golden brown, 50 to 60 minutes. Set aside to let rest for 10 minutes then serve.