Rustic Apple Galette
Take your fall baking to the next level. This free-form pastry is easy to put together, and simple ingredients mean you don’t have to do too much planning ahead.
- 1 1/2 cups 365 Everyday Value Organic All-Purpose Flour, plus 1 tablespoon for filling and extra for dusting
- 3 tablespoons cane sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 3 medium apples, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic Cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon Simply Organic Nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon Simply Organic Cloves
- 1 cage-free egg
- Splash of water
- 1 tablespoon 365 Everyday Value Turbinado Raw Sugar
- Parchment paper
Preheat oven to 425°F. To make the crust, whisk together flour, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Cut butter into flour mixture until mixture resembles tiny crumbs. Add cold water and knead ingredients together to form a ball. Lightly dust a sheet of parchment paper with flour. Using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll dough into a round about 14 inches in diameter and 1/4-inch thick. Roll out dough and transfer the parchment paper to a baking sheet. To make the filling, combine apples, brown sugar and vanilla in a bowl. Sprinkle in flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves, then stir to combine. Arrange apple mixture in center of dough, leaving a space around outer edges of dough. Fold outer edges of dough one fourth of the way over filling. Beat egg and water together. Brush egg wash over crust and sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
Bake for 35 minutes, until apples are soft and the center bubbles. Allow to cool slightly, about 10 minutes, then slice and serve. Enjoy!